Why David Mann Is Running For Mayor of Cincinnati…
DAVID MANN’S CASE TO BE MAYOR OF CINCINNATI
Our beloved City has taken incredible hits in recent months with three out of nine members of council indicted on serious federal charges. The highest priority for the next Mayor of Cincinnati must be to restore honor at City Hall. We must institute safeguards which make graft, bribery and illegal conduct by members of council and any city employee as rare as possible. Even more important, we must build on these measures to earn back the trust and respect of all Cincinnatians. Until we have done so, we cannot move forward in the ways which are essential.
With our house in order, we can pursue these additional goals:
- Create a spirit of unity. With the human and economic toll of the coronavirus and the challenges we all face in the aftermath of the murder of George Floyd, the next mayor must work to unify this city as never before and, in doing so, ensure that we find the strength within ourselves which is so essential to our future. Together we can fulfill our city’s Latin motto – “juncta juvant” — which means strength through unity.
- Lead the City in its post-pandemic recovery. We have a huge undertaking ahead of us. We must create the shared purposes and resources to make sure Cincinnati leads the country, not in returning to the normal we used to know, but in addressing a dramatically different society and community.
- Bring peace and justice to our community. Economic opportunity and benefit must reach all our citizens of whatever race, ethnicity and sexual orientation. We must address the racial disparities remaining in our community including health, employment, education, housing, childhood poverty, infant mortality, life expectancy and all the other elements of the long, long list. We need a “tale of one city,” not two cities.
- Reduce crime and improve police/community relations. We must reduce the high homicide rate we are now experiencing. As we recognize the quality of our uniformed personnel, we must remain committed to continuous improvement in the many ways in which police and fire personnel engage with our citizens. Use of force must always be a last resort. Any decision to use force must be promptly reviewed.
- Support development and continue to increase our population. More businesses, large and small, and more entrepreneurs of varied backgrounds, talents and skills remain critical as we compete with other communities to keep and recruit businesses, jobs and talent. More people mean more economic activity, more jobs and more stable neighborhoods.
To me, public service is a critical calling. It matters who serves and the integrity with which they do so. I count my twenty seven years of elected service as a great privilege. I have tried every day of my work to make smart, thoughtful decisions in the public interest as God has given me the wisdom and courage to do so. In all things political, balance is critical as we navigate a correct path given competing arguments and interests.
My experience, talents and reputation for collaboration are well suited to leading a council which will be one of the least experienced and youngest in history. I offer stability at a moment when it is most needed at City Hall.
Thank you for your consideration.
MANN FOR CINCINNATI
30 Garfield Place, Suite 920
Cincinnati, OH 45202
David Mann for Cincinnati Mayor
I have served this community as councilman, mayor, member of congress and, most recently, as vice mayor and chair of the budget and finance committee. In this most challenging time of unrest and the coronavirus, experience and wisdom count more than ever before. Humbly, I believe that my years of public service have prepared me to be mayor in this particularly challenging moment. I ask for your help on this journey.
> Learn More